February: Models: Interacting with your photographer
What does a photographer search for in a model?
Well, the answer to this is way easier than you’d think. Someone that can be directed, full of energy and eager to get the job done. Let’s say you, as a photographer, has to choose between two models, equally gorgeous, it definitely comes down to the one that is easy to work with, listens to you and has enough confidence to do what needs to be done.
Learn to read the situation. Every shoot has it’s own crew, character and theme. The personality of the day will be in tune with this. So posing, acting and garments will correlate Make sure that you understand what is needed from you and that you understand the goal of the day before you get to the camera. Ask questions to the makeup artist, stylist and hairstylist. They either helped to plan the shoot or was informed really well as to what was wanted. They can either be your allies or enemies.
A few things to remember:
- Even if you think you know more than the photographer, do not try to direct him/ her. It will be taken as an insult and you will never be asked to do a job again.
- Do ask questions or make suggestions, but make sure that this is not in an intrusive manner.
- Be sensitive to mood. Some shoots are bubbly and sexy and some relaxed or quite. Make sure that you understand how to blend with this.
- Stay positive! Remember to breathe. Even if things should get tense, be relaxed and down to earth.
- Make small movements. Many models do not understand how to make small movements and that can make the difference between a good and a perfect shot.
Every photographer will be different, so I decided to present you with an interview with Billy – Jean Raad, a photographer friend:
- Billy, tell us a little about yourself.
- You have worked with models for a while. What do you expect of a model?
- What kind of behaviour do you despise in a model?
- How much should a model talk in a shoot?
- When will you rehire a model?
- Which advice can you give to aspiring models?
billy-jean photography on Facebook